Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Are you Focused or Distracted?

As I listen to all that is going on in the world today, it becomes clear to me that we are easily distracted.

I have a 4 year old, and one of the areas we are spending time with him on is staying focused. We know that as he is getting ready for the kindergarden, he needs to practice staying focused. There are times when he is at school working on his math and one of his friends/peers will start to talk to him. In that moment, he loses focus. He is no longer doing what he should be doing, but what someone is doing.

How many times do we find ourselves off focus? Where we are not doing what we should be doing, but what someone else is doing? Even when we know that we have something else to do, we get off focus or distracted.

Our world is off focus. We claim to be nation that has a strong spiritual base built on Christian values. If that is the case, then we should be more concerned about the 'least of these'.  We have gotten off focus of taking care of ourselves and of those that can't take care of themselves.

I believe that if I stay focus on me and lend a hand to those that need it, in the end we all are better.  My need to stay focus on me does not preclude me from seeing the need of others. One of my favorite movies has a famous line: 'Am I My Brother's Keeper?'. The response: 'Yes You Are!'. 

What does that statement mean to you? Do you believe that you are responsible for someone outside of yourself?

I do. Because I may be lending the hand today and needing the hand tomorrow.

Let me know your thoughts... Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments by clicking on the "comments" link just below this post.  Don't forget to share this with your facebook friends and follow me on twitter  @askjema
Until next time
Be Blessed, Sisterfriend

No comments: