Thursday, June 2, 2011

Embracing Your Strengths

My best friend since kindergarden often tells of a story where she claims I turned the entire second grade against her and another girl. Here is the story.

The other girl, I'll call her Felicia, had beat me in selling candy by one box and thus was the first place winner in the whole school. My best friend says that I convinced everyone that they should not play with Felicia.  She decided that I was not being fair and so she befriended Felicia. My best friend then says that I told the whole second grade not to talk to or play with either one of them. I do not recall this event, but if it did occur that way, I must be really good with the art of persuasion.

Do you have a talent or gift or just a certain skill set that is often misunderstood? When you exercise that talent or gift do people perceive you to be showing off? Do they perceive you as a know it all?

Sometimes my ability to get things done is misunderstood. Some say I am bossy. Others say that I am pushy. Some even say that I can be a tad bit demanding and a bully. Of course, I do not see myself in those terms.

I do know that I have a unique way of connecting with people. I know that I know a little bit about a lot of things. I know that in life we all want to be loved and needed and appreciated. So when I ask people to do things, I keep all of that in mind.

The challenge in having this ability is that some people will try to misuse it. Because they know I can get it done, they always ask me to either work with someone or to do it. They also know that I am not going to sit around and see something that needs to be done and wait on either the person in charge or someone else to do it. Something on the inside of me takes over and I jump into action.

So the next time that your talent, gift or unique skill set takes over, just sit back and enjoy the ride. They may talk about you in the beginning, but in the end they will be talking to you.

Let me know your thoughts... Keep the conversation going! Leave your comments by clicking on the "comments" link just below this post.  Don't forget to share this with your facebook friends and follow me on twitter  @askjema
Until next time
Be Blessed, Sisterfriend

No comments: